Sunday, May 9, 2010

It's a God Thing!

It all started with Ted and the search for the perfect used 4-wheeler....

For the past 2 months (at least), my husband has been searching the internet for a used 4-wheeler that we could afford, you know, so then he could do all the jobs around our house that require a 4-wheeler (or so the argument went).  I went along because he was pretty convincing, but then as the days and weeks and then months went by that he would come home and immediately jump on the internet to spend hours looking at ATV's, my attitude began to change.  I began to think, 'What about me?  I've had a new guitar on my dream list for 2 years and and I know I'd use it every week for church, but that dream keeps getting replaced by other "necessities".'

So one night, when my pity party had gotten into full swing, I approached Ted and explained how I was feeling.  (Here's the first God-thing....)  I shared in a way that wasn't attacking him and he listened to me and immediately went to the computer and started searching used guitars on Craigslist (his home away from home).  My spirits began to rise and within the next few days, we started narrowing down possible Taylors that we could go drive and play - all at least 2 hours away.  Before we scheduled one of those trips, Ted suggested we stop by Elderly and try to play some Taylors that were the same model and had the same wood types, to be able to see if we really liked the sound of them in comparison to others there.  (Did I mention how smart of a husband I have?) 

So Jake and I made a visit to Elderly and did just that.  But one guitar captured our attention way above the others and it wasn't like any that I had seen on Craigslist.  It was a Taylor 714ce LTD with a Cedar top and Koa back/sides.  Ted could tell I loved it and he tried to see if Elderly would negotiate on price because we were working with limited funds from our tax returns, but Elderly didn't bite.  So sadly, we went home and I mulled over and over how perfect that guitar was for me.  A day went by and I just knew that was the guitar for me, so I encouraged Ted to go into Elderly with cash and make them an offer, and I was just sure they would accept. 

Later that morning, I pulled up Elderly's posting online of the guitar just to dream about it, but the posting now had in red letters - SOLD.  I had a momentary meltdown, until I realized Ted probably got it for me!  So I called him and said, "Hon, my guitar sold - it says so online!" and he was all like, "Hmm... really?  That was my next stop - I'll go there and see."  and I thought, 'Sure you will!  You're going to suprise me with it tonight!'  But an hour later he called and informed me that yes, indeed, it had sold.  That someone had come in the night before and boughten it.  And in his voice, I knew he wasn't teasing me.

I was devastated!  Here I thought I had done it right, by walking away from it that day at Elderly and letting a day or two go by to really ponder the purchase and make a wise decision, but God had a different plan.  I moped around the house during lunch saying, "I just can't believe it sold!  That was it - The One!"  Jake and Isaiah tried to encourage me and told me to try to find one on Craigslist, but I just knew I wouldn't be able to find one.  It was a limited edition and it wasn't like there are a million of them out there. 

But encouraged by the boys, I got online, googled it and up popped a posting on a Craiglist in Texas.  At first my heart soared, then I thought what are the chances the owner would be willing to ship it?  The ad was too good to be true - basically brand new - purchased in February and only played a couple of times.  I called the phone number and left a message, thinking it was all a long shot.  But a few minutes later the owner called me back, said he'd sell it to me for less than he paid for it, he'd hold it until the evening so I could talk to Ted and he'd ship it for free!! And to top it all off - he said he was a police officer!

I can't tell you how excited I was when I called Ted and I know I was thinking, "Calm down Charli.  You need to be thinking clearly!"  It was almost too good to be true and I think that is what scared Ted and I at first - especially when he told me he was a police officer.  What should have immediately put us to rest, actually made us more paranoid that it was a false sense of security.  When Ted got home, I showed him the ad and we decided to go ahead.  From there, I felt more and more peace because every time I talked to the owner, I just knew he was an honest man and being used by God to bless us!  He kept me up-to-date with where we were in the process of transferring the money and when he would ship it, and I just knew it was all going to work out.

But I have to admit, somewhere in my subconsious I must've been worried because one night I dreamnt that the guitar arrived and it was in an old, antique wooden guitar case and when I pulled out the guitar it was old with wood peeling and to top it all off it was a LEFTIE and I just sat there in my dream saying, "I can't even play it!"

Thursday morning dawned bright and cheery and I can't tell you how many times my eyes scanned our drive and Crocus Trail to see a UPS van coming.  Sometime in the late afternoon, Nate spied it and yelled, "Mom, I see the delivery truck!"  Isaiah and Jake were outside and came running to the house to tell me.  The UPS man came trudging up our drive with my new guitar slung on his shoulder, while we all grinned and stood on the porch like dorks.  If he didn't think that was wierd, he probably did when he realized I was taking a picture of him coming up the drive - now who takes a picture of the UPS man delivering his packages??????
We rushed into the living room with it and the kids sat quietly around me while I cut the package open.  I think they knew better than to try to help me or touch anything until I saw it first.  It was beautiful!!
I was the first to play it.....
Then of course, Jake was the next....
Meanwhile.... the younger ones lost interest when they realized that in the packaging was more bubble wrapping than any kid could dream of....and the guitar was soon drowned out by the sound of plastic wrapping being popped by hands and feet.
Since that day, if I'm not playing it, Jake's usually snagged it and taken it up to his room to "record".  It has a beautiful sound!  When I think back on the whole story, I'm amazed by how God changes our plans, to give us something better than we can hope for!  And I'm so thankful to my husband for sacrificing his dream of a quad, for mine and for the honest man in Texas who went above and beyond what most do for an online sale.  To me, it's like God was working through him!

And it all began with Ted and the search for the perfect used 4-wheeler.   Once again I'm reminded that God's ways are not our ways! 

1 comment:

chippy said...

That's an awesome story Charlene! Congratulations!
The pictures of the UPS delivery man made me laugh! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails