Thursday, May 13, 2010

Glorifying God Where I am and As I Am

If you begin to say,
“I cannot glorify God where I am, and as I am;”
I answer, neither could you anywhere if not where you are.

Providence, which arranged your surroundings,
appointed them so that, all things being considered,
you are in the position in which you can best display
the wisdom and the grace of God.

Now, if you can once accept this as being a fact,
it will make a man of you.
My Christian brother, or my dear sister,
it will enable you to serve God with a force which you have not yet obtained,
for then, instead of panting for spheres to which you will never reach,
you will inquire for immediate duty, asking,
“What does my hand find to do?”

You need not use your feet to traverse half a nation to find work,
it lies close at hand.
Your calling is near at home;
your vocation lies at the door, and within it.
What your hand finds to do, do it at once, and with all your might,
and you will find such earnest service the best method
in which you can glorify the Lord Jesus Christ.
{Charles H. Spurgeon}

I believe this has been a lesson God has been revealing to me over and over and over again in this past year....To look at circumstances as providence, to believe that God has a plan and a purpose for me in every circumstance - not just the ones that I chose, and then to seek His will for me in those hard circumstances.  In our world today, we tend to bail or leave behind anything that is difficult or pushes our endurance to the limit because Satan's theme of "It's all about you, you deserve a break today" is so prevelant in our schools, our businesses, our homes. 

Jake left in the wee hours this morning for Celebrate Life at ONU, where he will be quizzing on the varsity level.  Last night, when I was saying goodbye to him, he got teary-eyed because he knows he's stepping into a place he does not want to go.  The voices in his head repeat over and over that he will fail miserably at the varsity level and right now, Satan is working overtime on his confidence in baseball and quizzing.  I told him, "Jake - God is sending you to Celebrate Life for a reason and knowing God, I don't think the reason is to achieve man's view of success by being the best quizzer there.  God's purpose has something to do with your heart and your identity in Him, all He's asking of you is to be obedient, to keep your eyes on Him and then do your best.  He's bigger than the Quizzing results - look to HIM and it will bring Him glory."
Please pray for Jake this weekend, that he's protected from the enemy's lies, that he uses scripture to fight the lies, that he finds himself wrapped around his Daddy's leg and in for the "ride" of his life!

3 comments:

chippy said...

I love this qoute! Need to steal it for my blog!:)
I am praying for Jacob... that he will see God & hear God do & say amazing things to/for him.
I need to share this with Chaney because of not being picked for the spiritual leadership team next year. She was so hurt but just like what you shared with Jake I reminded her that God has made this plan... and it is for her good.

chippy said...

Ha Ha! I just went to copy this qoute and as I was reading it again I realized I already have it. I love that we are touched by the very same things!

Gsus Saves said...

too funny! I wondered at first where I would've gotten it if not from you! I'm sorry to hear about Chaney not being picked for the team - it seems so crazy to me, but you are right - God's got a purpose in it! Tell her we love her!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails