Monday, October 5, 2009

To Be Where He Is...

Tonight at BSF, a question I had answered this morning in a rather straightforward way, was shone to me in a more daring way.  It was on the scripture from John 1:37-39 (New International Version)

 37When the two disciples heard him say this, they followed Jesus. 38Turning around, Jesus saw them following and asked, "What do you want?"
      They said, "Rabbi" (which means Teacher), "where are you staying?"

 39"Come," he replied, "and you will see."
      So they went and saw where he was staying, and spent that day with him. It was about the tenth hour.

The questions were asked of what did the disciples ask Jesus and what was His response or conditions for getting to know Him and then how can you begin to fulfill those conditions?  

At first glace, I gave the obvious answers that they asked where He was staying, He told them to come and follow him to see.  But tonight as I sat in discussion and reread it, I heard Him say, "Come - BE where I am" and it had such an impact on me.... I don't know if I'm even doing it justice in this writing, if you are able to see/feel the difference, but for me it was like having another blinder pulled from my eyes.  

At every turn, I'm reminded thru scripture that obedience to Christ is key, that loving Him and being in relationship w/ Him is key, and I'm always longing to be more of Him, less of me yet I've been struggling with the machine of religion or institution of church.   And I felt the question rising, In the machine of religion aka church as this world runs it - is He there?  I know it says in scripture that where ever two or more are gathered in His name, He is there.  But is Sunday morning church and all that goes along with it today where He would be or did He have something different in mind for us all when it was written in Hebrews 10:25  Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. 
Is He calling me out of something that has become an idol unto itself?  Is He wanting me to do the radical thing, leave the man-made church and to change/simplify my meeting with fellow believers, praising Him, encouraging fellow believers, sharing the Good News with the lost by more opportunities given to do "life" alongside them, and break the cycle for my children of misplaced devotion?

I can't shake this thought that our generation is blind to how far off the track we are, just as so many in the 1700's church were off track.   I don't want to be off track, I don't want to be blind to truth and overwhelmed by the odds against me to not change. 

Even as I put these thoughts down, I'm hesitant, not wanting to be used by the enemy to bring more division and confusion to the body of Christ, the true Church, the Bride of Christ.  More than anything, my heart longs to have the body of Christ be a lampstand for the lost, to be more of Him and less of us.  Please hear that and may God forgive me if my thoughts in the woods cause anyone to stumble.  I would greatly appreciate your prayers as I continue to seek His wisdom and direction.  I would also appreciate correction based on scripture if you feel so led.


post signature

1 comment:

chippy said...

I'm praying for you!
(Wow! 4 posts in one day! Watch out, cause I will expect it everyday! :)
Love you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails