Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Heavy Metal

This morning, bright and early, my oldest boys and I set out on the adventure of....living with braces.  This adventure has required us to leave behind a dentist and hygentist we love (Dr. Faber and Gail), in order to join a dental plan that greatly reduced our out-of-pocket expenses.  Even though I appreciate the reduced cost for us, I must admit I've complied with dragging feet and fear (due to painful experiences in the dental office as a kid).  What started it all was the alarming information that because Jake grinds his teeth at night and his bite is off, he is wearing through the outer enamel of his teeth and causing irriversable damage.  So we decided, why just do one kid - here, do Isaiah as well!

Like a nerd, I took my camera.  My poor kids will be in counseling someday because of it I'm sure.  (by the looks of Isaiah, it could be any day)
While one tech worked on putting in Jake's "rein rings", another began immediately gluing on the metal brackets. 
I think Jake's nerves are getting to him here....his random laughter makes me smile.  (Could his nerves be affected by my questions about when will the painful part begin?)
Say goodbye to your pretty plain teeth!!  Dry the teeth, apply the glue, stick on the bracket, line them up, then add heat.  (Jake said the glue tasted like eating a dandelion.)
Time to install the wire, then the fun part......
Choosing your color!!!!  This has been the biggest topic of conversation around here.  I jokingly pointed to the pink and said, "That's the color you want, isn't it Jake?"  But the joke was one me - he responded, "Hmmmm.....I think I'll go with the pink."  The tech seemed slightly shocked and questioned him at least two more times, "Are you sure?"  (don't ask me why the condom looking things are in there - I was too embarrassed to ask the tech)
In the end, the pink looked cool and it matches his coloring.  I liked it!
Of course, Isaiah took the reserved approach and went silver to match his brackets.
Then a little tutorial on how to floss with braces....it'll be interesting to time that job tonight!
They look so cute!  They go back in a month or so to add on the bottom braces.  Scary dentist or not - it is worth it!  (That being said, I should go call and schedule my check up.)

2 comments:

chippy said...

That is funny! Congratulations Jake & Isaiah on getting braces! They look awesome on you.

by the way... are you in very much pain?? :)
Always remember to take Advil before going to the ortho!

Gsus Saves said...

Yesterday they were in a lot of pain - but our ortho guy said no ibuprofen, only acetemiphen...I think they are already counting the days until they come off.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails