Thursday, December 17, 2009

Trimming More Than the Tree


Last week, Ted called his dad to see if he'd be willing to come and help Ted install trim in our bedroom.  Of course, Ted's dad said yes.  He is always ready and willing to work with his boy in home repair and maintenance.  This has been a project on the To-Do list since we moved into our home in 2003.


They spent two days working on our bedroom trim and I was amazed by what a difference it made to our room!  It was so beautiful and I thought to myself, "How could I have been okay with the ugliness before when this beautiful trim was missing?"  I was just happy and content with my room before, but now I feel as if it is lovely.  I'd pop up in the room a few times as they were working, the smell of sawdust washing over me and sawdust footprints trekking everywhere.  Glimmers of wisdom I heard while observing, "Measure twice, cut once", "Always better to cut it long, then we'll trim",  "I told you, why didn't you listen?"

Of course, little visitors were always welcome too with a handful of pretzels to share.

 One challenge for me was having a "meal" ready at lunchtime for the men.  I thought, "I can't just feed Grandpa peanut butter and jelly.  I've got to have a real meal."  I managed to impress him, although I knew I didn't need to deep down.

 Ted and I are so thankful to have such awesome parents and I know Ted treasures the time working with his dad. Isn't that what parents do, come alongside their children, guide them, teach them, encourage them, correct them, enable them, do life with them, love them? 
post signature

2 comments:

chippy said...

Isn't it amazing how we get comfortable in the way things are, not even realizing how much better they could be?!? Just like our walk with God... He wants us to not get comfortable with how the way things are but to keep working out our salvation & seeing the beauty of the improvements.

Gsus Saves said...

You said it! I knew there was more of a God-lesson in this entry, but to be honest I let it slip b/c I had so many to post! hehehe....thank you for bringing it out!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails