Saturday, January 29, 2011

Double Nature

There is a double nature in all believers. Converted, renewed, sanctified as they are, they still carry about with them a mass of indwelling corruption, a body of sin. Paul speaks of this when he says, “I find a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me. For I delight in the law of God after the inward man. But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind” (Romans 7:21-23). The experience of all true Christians in every age confirms this. They find within, two contrary principles, and a continual strife between the two. To these two principles our Lord alludes when He addresses His half-awakened disciples. He calls the one flesh and the other spirit. He says, “the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.”
~ J.C. Ryle

Yesterday and today, I've been struggling with this reality.  And at the same time struggling against the enemy who whispers that because I struggle in this way, I'm a failure and unworthy.  Thank you Father for leading me to read this quote from Ryle this morning.  My flesh can be so weak at times and yet ironically loud!  Determining my value based on what others do and say, or don't do and say, has been the strife in my heart these past few days.  Thank you for the reminder that You know it's there, You do not condemn me for it, but that You are there for me to strengthen my spirit.  Holy Spirit do Your work in me this day and may I be more in tune to what You say, than the enemy. 

1 comment:

chippy said...

How easily we forget this double nature... until we are in sins grasp. So thankful that the spirit within is stronger that this indwelling sin!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails